The highlight this week has, of course, been the Rees Scroll / Teams of Ten match held in Wanganui over the weekend. Both Wellington teams improved on their 2013 placings and scores, with Wellington #1 finishing 2nd to Manawatu. Wellington were in the lead at half time, three points ahead of Manawatu. While Wellington's second half score was only three points less than their first half, Manawatu managed to improve by a massive 17 points in their second round, to finish a clear winner with 3927.224, 14 points ahead of Wellington on 3913.207. Waikato came 3rd with 3911.203, two points behind Wellington. Another battle between Wellington and Waikato was happening with the #2 teams, with Waikato #2 finishing two points ahead of Wellington #2 (3805.126 v 3803.122). Incredibly, adding the inners together, both Wellington and Waikato scored exactly the same score from their 20 shooters in this match (7716.329). Top Wellington shooter was Neil Kinsey (Wellington Central) with 394.26, very closely followed by Michael Grain 394.25 and Meredith Ackrill 394.23.
Next year the Rees Scroll match is being held at the Dannevirke 20-yard range. Shooting on 20-yard targets, rather than our usual 25-yard targets, will be a new experience for many shooters. The Southern Hawkes Bay Open Champs are being held on Saturday 14 June which will provide an excellent opportunity to get in some practice on these targets. It would be great to see more of our club's current C and B Graders nominating for the Rees Scroll match if you are shooting 20-shot scores in the high 180s or better, and are interested in being involved with this match, put your name forward when nominations are called for next March and give it a go.
Round 1 of the interclub competition was shot on Tuesday night. Our C Grade team unfortunately suffered a five-point loss to South Wellington, but our B Grade and Open teams both recorded wins (by six points and seven points respectively). Top Brooklyn shooters in each grade were Callum Osborne 95.3, Craig Fair 97.5 and Michael Grain 198.15. Round 2 of this competition is being held next Monday, 19 May. See Upcoming events below for selected teams. Please be at the range no later than 20 minutes prior to your match start time.
Congratulations to our newest member, Alexandra Woodwark, on shooting the only 100 at the club this week (100.3). Sarah May top scored in the college training squad this week with 95.0 while Conrad Draper shot one of the more interesting scores, 92.6!! Top shot in D Grade was Neakiry Kivi with 94.2 and 93.4 followed by Luisa Kristen 91.1. There's some great shooting happening in C Grade Stephen Thessman top scored this week with 97.6, while Callum Osborne shot 96.6 and Jialin Sae-Jiw shot 2x 96.4. The highest scores in B Grade this week were Sergey Kladnitski's 97.5 and Maor Ben-Shahar's 96.4; in A Grade David Grain led with 99.7; Alex Woodwark topped Master Grade with 100.3; and Evan Little scored the best 20-shot score of 197.09.
A reminder that Round 1 closed champs targets need to be shot on or before Sunday 25 May.
- Thursday 15 May, NDC Round 2, 7.30 pm. Open team: Meredith Ackrill, Dianne Grain, Michael Grain, Evan Little, Pratik Tailor.Composite team: Craig Fair, David Grain, Sergey Kladnitski. Junior team: Jess Fair, Ross Little. Emergencies: Callum Osborne, Jialin Sae-Jiw. On call: Stephen Thessman.
- Friday 16 / Saturday 17 May, Poroutawhao Club Open Champs, Levin.
- Monday 19 May, Interclub Round 2. C Grade (7.45pm, 1x10): Callum Osborne, Jialin Sae-Jiw, Stephen Thessman (captain), Erin Little. B Grade (8.15pm, 1x10): Maor Ben-Shahar, Craig Fair (captain), Callum Osborne, Mark Riley. Open Grade (8.45pm, 1x20): Michael Grain, Pratik Tailor, Meredith Ackrill, David Grain (captain). Team Manager: Evan Little.
- Saturday 24 May, Taranaki Open Champs, Eltham.
- Sunday 25 May, Hawera Club Open Champs, Hawera.
- Sunday 25 May, deadline for closed champs Round 1 targets.