|Congratulations to our club secretary, Peter McCarthy and partner Anne, on the birth of their son, Frankie, on Monday 18 July. We wish the family all the best in the hectic but exciting weeks ahead.|
Another busy week at the club with 36 shooters. It was good to see some tight competition in the higher grades with all Master Graders and most A Graders shooting. Meredith Ackrill had the best 10-shot score of 100.5, while Pratik Tailor top-scored in the 20-shot competition with 199.13 followed by Michael Grain with 198.8. Evan Little scored best in A Grade with 99.6 ahead of Dianne Grain on 98.5. B Grade was separated by only a point between the three shooters, with Callum Osborne highest on 98.5 followed by Summer O’Dwyer on 98.4. Ollie Tuohy led C Grade this week with 94.2, while Mark Riley and Erin Little were a point behind on 93.2. D Grade scores continue to climb with the top six this week all shooting 94 or better – Inge Little 97.3 (a new PB), Wiko du Toit 95.3, Matthew Canlas 94.3 (equal PB), Qiyun Goh 94.2 (a new PB), and Rhys Mountain and Oscar Robinson both with 94.1.
Congratulations to Wiko du Toit on gaining his D Grade marksmen’s badge with a very impressive 188 (the qualifying score is 175).
Wellington suffered a loss to Nelson in the final round of the NDC competition, winning the open section but losing both the composite and junior sections. This moves Wellington down to third place on the Division 2 table, which means Wellington will now compete in the semi-finals on Thursday 11 August against second placegetters Eastern Force for a spot in the finals.
On Sunday 31 July, Nicole McKee (ex-Mountain Safety Council) will visit the club at 5pm to talk about firearms safety and obtaining a firearms licence. We will therefore begin the club session half an hour earlier on this day, with the first squad at 4pm.
A reminder that if you wish to put your name forward (“nominate”) for representative matches, please email the WSRA Selector, Evan Little, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In August there are two junior matches (Tuesday 2 and Saturday 6) and a D Grade match (Monday 8) for which nominations are needed.
- Monday 25 July, Round 5 interclub. C Grade 7.45pm, 1x10: Mark Riley (captain), Hamish Guthrey, Georgia Karantze, Wiko du Toit (marker). B Grade 8.15pm, 1x10: Summer O’Dwyer, Callum Osborne, Mark Riley, Craig Fair (captain). Open Grade 8.45pm, 1x20: Pratik Tailor, Michael Grain, Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little (captain).
- Wednesday 27 July, 8.15pm, 1x20, Interassociation Women’s match. Team: Meredith Ackrill, Dianne Grain, Summer O’Dwyer. Emergency: Jess Fair TBC. On call: Georgia Karantze.
- Friday 29 July, 7.00pm, WSRA marking course. Registrations to Sue Bowen (email@example.com).
- Sunday 31 July, club session commencing 4.00pm, as there will be a 30-minute talk at 5.00pm by Nicole McKee re firearms licences.
- Tuesday 2 August, 8pm, 2x10, Interassociation Junior match. Team TBC.
- Saturday 6 August, 7pm, 2x10, Triangular B Grade, Juniors and Women matches, Keene Range, Petone. Teams TBC.
- Sunday 7 August, 1pm, National Indoor Champs.
- Sunday 7 August, deadline for Round 3 Triple S targets.