A quieter day yesterday, being the middle of the school holidays. Our final group of three made the transition to slings and jackets. Thanks to having a large quantity of decent club jackets, none of our members will need to share a jacket, and only a very few will share a rifle this season. This will allow minor adjustments to easily be made as and when necessary.
Congratulations to Meredith Ackrill on a phenomenal score of 200.14 shot at the second Teams of Ten trials yesterday. Meredith achieved the best overall total from the two trials, closely followed by Evan Little.
In club shooting Evan scored a very impressive 100.8 to have the best score of the night. A close contest in B Grade saw Erin Little ahead of Mark Riley by a mere inner (96.4 and 96.3 respectively). Hamish Guthrey led C Grade with 95.2 followed by Matthew Canlas with 94.3 which was Matthew’s best score to date this season. And in D Grade Aiden d’Souza scored highest with a new PB of 92.2, closely followed by new shooter Hugh Guiney with 92.0, another new PB, pretty impressive considering this was only his fourth card since moving to sling and jacket last week.
The finalised club calendar is attached. Please keep this handy as a quick reference for upcoming events.
A reminder that if you don’t want your card to count towards the club competition, please write “P” for practice on it very clearly. Only competition cards are to be recorded on the Excel spreadsheet for grading purposes.
As all shooters have now transitioned to sling and jacket, the club will open from 6pm from now onwards. Coached shooting will take place from 6.30pm until around 7.45pm, followed by non-coached shooting. If you arrive prior to the first squad, please help with setting up by assisting with moving the equipment from the storage lockers into the social area. Another task that can be undertaken by new club members is target changing, and shooters will be taught to mark targets over the upcoming weeks. Get involved and you’ll get a lot more enjoyment out of the sport.
- Thursday 26 April, 7.30pm, Round 1 NDC v The Plainsmen. Open team: Meredith Ackrill, David Grain, Dianne Grain, Evan Little, Mark Riley. Junior team: Casey Israelson, Erin Little. Emergencies (do shoot): Anna Hooper, Inge Little, Amalamo Simi. On call (doesn’t shoot): Callum Austin.
- Saturday 28 April, Masterton Open Champs.
- Sunday 29 April, 1.00pm, Wellington v Horowhenua, Poroutawhao Range, Levin. #1 Team: Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little, Erin Little, Ross Little, David Grain. #2 Team: Dianne Grain, Mark Riley, Inge Little, Amalamo Simi. Emergency: Wiko du Toit.
- Sunday 29 April, 6.30pm coached session followed by 8.00pm non-coached session.
- Tuesday 1 May, Round 1 interclub. B Grade team v Aotea (1x10, 8.15pm): Erin Little (captain), Mark Riley, Hamish Guthrey, Anna Hooper. On call: Amalamo Simi, Casey Israelson. Open Grade team v Melrose (1x20, 8.45pm): Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little (captain), Erin Little, David Grain. On call: Dianne Grain, Mark Riley.
- Friday 4 / Saturday 5 May, Wellington Central Open Champs, Royal Tiger Range, Newtown.