Congratulations to Erin Little and Dianne Grain who were in Wellington’s Number 1 team that won the Inter-association Teams of Five B Grade Competition (a pretty good result considering that 20 other teams were also competing for it!).
Wellington had a narrow (but well-earned!) win against the Hutt Valley in the Open and Women’s matches shot on Friday night. The matches are shot over a 10 and a 20 shot target and Wellington scored 3492.152 to the Hutt’s 3491.155, so if not for that one point edge then the Hutt would have won on inners. Brooklyn members (Mark Baines, Bex Gibbs, Erin Little, Evan Little, Stephen Thessman, Mark Riley and Craig Fair) made up half of the Wellington Team so well done them, and especially to Bex for high-scoring for the team with a 100.8 followed up with a 198.11. In the Women’s match, Wellington romped home with a 34 point win over the Hutt Valley – excellent shooting from Bex Gibbs, Erin Little and Inge Little.
The Wellington Smallbore Rifle Association is having its Annual Prize Giving Dinner/Social on Saturday 12th October, 6pm, at the Royal Tiger Range. Please see Meredith to purchase your tickets.
It might be late in the season but last night’s club shooting still provided a range of learning and improving opportunities for our shooters. It’s often easier to “keep plugging on” and not risk making changes, but Clive Brodie took time out to adjust his shooting glasses on his first card last night (a 52.0 which he didn’t complete), but after making those changes and settling back into his rifle he shot a 91.2 on his second card. A really great step forward!
In the hotly-contested D Grade, Stephen Thessman would have lead again… if Maia LaPointe hadn’t beaten him by 2 inners (95.4 to 95.2)! Jaz Hamilton and Ryan Day also shot well in the 90’s. But do not weep for Stephen – he got revenge (in his usual understated manner, of course) by beating Maia’s 20 shot 187.7 with a 190.5. 😊
C Grade was closely contested as well, with Emily Lockery shooting a 97.3 to narrowly beat Inge Little’s 97.1 – great shooting from both of you. Casey was Mr Consistent, shooting 96.1 and 96.5. In the higher grades, the battle raged on – Erin Little shooting a 97.4 then being beaten by her father, Evan, with a 97.5 but both of them trailing Bex who continued her fine shooting form, posting a 100.7. Evan Little and Mark Baines both tied on 197.8 in the 20 shot targets, but again were beaten by Bex who shot a brilliant 199.11. Marvellous competition!!!
A date to add to your diaries: Brooklyn have booked the range for a training session at 2pm on Sunday 15 September. The session will assess shooters’ position and set-up, followed by a number of shooting drills. This is a great opportunity to train and analyse. If you are using a scope, come along and have a go.
Brooklyn are responsible for cleaning the range and social area during September. This will be undertaken on Sunday 22 September at 7pm. Regular shooting will commence 30 minutes earlier at 6pm on this day to allow time for the clean. Could all members please ensure they add this date to their calendars as the more hands available to do the work, the quicker it will be done. Also please bring along cleaning equipment – vacuum cleaners, mops, buckets, cleaning cloths.
With only a few weeks to go of the grading season, please ensure your grading spreadsheet is up to date. These will be collected, collated and forwarded to Target Shooting New Zealand in early October.
Please direct any queries during September to Inge Little.
Any errors in this email are entirely the fault of Mark Robinson who is nowhere as good as Dianne at writing these updates, but he’s trying his hardest anyway! 😊
- Monday 9 September, Wellington v Hertfordshire, 8.00pm + 8.30pm, 1x10 NZ + 1x10 UK. Team: Meredith Ackrill, Bex Gibbs, Erin Little, Evan Little. Emergency: Mark Baines. On call: Mark Riley.
- Friday 13 September, Wellington v Hutt Valley C Grade, 7pm, 2x10, Keene Range, Petone. Team: Hamish Guthrey, Ethan Haigh, Casey Israelson, Inge Little. Emergencies (do shoot): Cassie Truscott, Maia Lapointe.
- Friday 13 September, Wellington v Hutt Valley interclub winners, 7pm, Keene Range, Petone. C Grade, 2x10: Hamish Guthrey, Casey Israelson, Inge Little (captain), Ethan Haigh; emergencies: Cassie Truscott, Maia Lapointe; team manager: Craig Fair. Open Grade, 1x20: Bex Gibbs, Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little (captain), Mark Baines; on call: Mark Riley.
- Sunday 15 September, 2pm training session.
- Tuesday 17 September, Wellington Closed Champs Final 10, 8.15pm, 1x20.
- Saturday 21 September, North Island Open Champs, Palmerston North (poster attached).
- Sunday 22 September, 6pm start to allow cleaning at 7pm. Please bring vacuum cleaners, mops, buckets, cleaning cloths.
- Saturday 27 / Sunday 28 September, interisland secondary schools match.
- Sunday 6 October, final club day.
- Wednesday 9 October, Champion of Champions match, 8.00pm C+D Grades 1x10, 8.20pm Open+A+B Grades 1x20.
- Saturday 12 October, 6pm, WSRA prizegiving dinner.
- Sunday 13 October, 4.30pm, BSRC prizegiving barbecue.