It was a quiet club night on Sunday, with several senior members competing or supporting at the North v South match in Palmerston North. The scores were tight between those members who attended the club. In the lower grades, Finn Ashby scored 94.3, an inner ahead of both Chris Dunning and Analin Rudd with 94.2. In B Grade, both Dianne Grain and Jaz Hamilton scored 96.2. David Grain's 97.4 was the highest score of the night, followed by Meredith Ackrill's 97.3. David also scored the highest 20-shot with his 194.11.
North v South match
The annual North Island versus South Island match was held in Palmerston North on Saturday. This is one of the most competitive matches of the season, with shooters qualifying by attending Open Championships through the beginning of the season. This year was a clean sweep for the North Island, winning all 5 team matches (Juniors, Veterans, Womens, Mens and Open).
Congratulations to the shooters from our club who qualified for these teams. Megan Brodie started the day off strongly with a score of 394.24 for the Junior team, placing 3rd and qualifying for the New Zealand Juniors. Bex Baines followed suit for the Women, scoring 394.18 to place 3rd. Megan scored 391.19 for her Womens shoot. Both qualified for the New Zealand Womens team. Megan then went on to finish the day with a 391.17 for the Open team, missing out on making the New Zealand team by just three places.
The New Zealand teams shot on Sunday in a postal match against the UK Home Counties. These matches are scored as though they were shot on UK targets, so no inners are counted. Megan shot a 297 for the Junior team and then 295 for the Womens. Bex shot a 296 for the Womens. Great shooting both!
Please note upcoming events:
- Saturday 27 August, Teams of Ten, Whanganui
- Rees Scroll: Bex Baines, Megan Brodie, Erin Little, Meredith Ackrill, David Grain, Evan Little
- Jim Hart: Mark Baines, Jaz Hamilton, Stephen Thessman, Dianne Grain, Mark Riley, Inge Little
- Sunday 28 August:
- 2:00pm, Royal Tiger Range: Intercollegiate Match Round 2
- 6:30pm: Week 1 of Round 4, Club Competition
- Closed Champs Round 6 due
- Tuesday 30 August: Interclub Round 6
- C Grade: Bye
- B Grade, 8:15pm: team TBC
- Open, 8:45pm: team TBC
- Saturday 3 September: Osmond Shield and Wright Cup. Teams TBC
- Sunday 4 September: Week 2 of Round 4, Club Competition