The highlight for me yesterday was Georgia Karantze beating her previous PB of 91.3 by a massive four points to 95.2 and then again by two points to a whopping 97.3! Georgia has always been a keen shooter, travelling to many open champs and always remaining positive. After a month in the sling, her scores were starting to become reasonably consistent in the high 80s, then about six weeks ago she began scoring either 90s or 91s (10 of them!) which continued until yesterday. It is far better to be a consistent shooter as this means your preparation and position are the same every time you get on the mound and you only need to work on your firing technique. Those one or two rough shots will disappear and the score will jump considerably.
Congratulations also to Nick Hill on scoring a new PB of 81.1, and to Jamie Yee on her 95.4, only an inner behind her PB.
Zoe Smith scored the best on the rest with 80.1. Ollie Tuohy shot a fantastic 98.7 in D Grade to be top shot this week, followed by Summer O’Dwyer 97.6, Georgia Karantze 97.3 and Jamie Yee 95.4. It was close in C Grade with both Neil Maddever and Neakiry Kivi scoring 96s. Andrea Tuohy was highest in B Grade with 97.6, and Dianne Grain had the best A Grade score of 98.5. In Master Grade, Michael Grain scored 100.5 to be top shot, followed by Pratik Tailor with 99.6. Michael was also highest in the 20-shot competition with 199.10. Thanks once again to Mark Riley and Yogesh Tailor for helping to run our club days and nights – your assistance is very much appreciated.
It was great to have such a good turnout of Brooklyn members (16) at the Wellington Open Champs on Friday and Saturday: competing, helping, and providing food for sale. As usual the camaraderie between members was fantastic, with everyone supporting each other. Congratulations to:
- Michael Grain (3rd overall) 497.34
- Pratik Tailor (3rd Master Grade and top Wellington Master Grade) 299.19 and shot in the Final 10
- Meredith Ackrill (top Wellington woman) 296.16 and shot in the Final 10
- Dianne Grain (top Wellington A Grade) 292.13
- Ollie Tuohy (2nd C Grade) 288.7
- Ollie Tuohy (2nd D Grade) 289.10
- Summer O’Dwyer (3rd D Grade) 287.7
- Ben Cox (new PB) 98.5
The Manawatu Open Champs are being held in Palmerston North this weekend. If you would like to compete and need assistance with transportation of club equipment, please let me know as soon as possible.
Our final preparations are now underway for hosting our own Brooklyn Centenary Open Champs on Saturday 25 July. We would really appreciate the support of ALL our members for this event. This is a great opportunity to have a go at an external competition, to meet up with shooters from other clubs and associations, to strive to set a new PB, and to possibly be awarded a commemorative medal and a small cash prize. Coaching will be available during the morning, so come along and have a go (but please let me know by next Sunday if you are shooting so that club equipment and a roster can be organised).
The club centenary dinner is being held on Saturday 17 October at The Pines, Houghton Bay (details below). Please add this date to your diaries. Tickets will be available closer to the time.
6.30pm pre-dinner drinks
Cost $45 per person
There were many positive comments from other shooters regarding our club centenary jackets, worn by many members at the Wellington Open Champs. They look extremely smart, so if you would like to purchase one ($89) please let David know as soon as possible (email@example.com).
Next week we will undertake our cleaning duties at the range. Please bring along vacuum cleaners, mops, buckets, and cleaning cloths. The more people able to help, the faster the task will be accomplished.
- Thursday 16 July, NDC Round 5, 7.30pm. Open section: Meredith Ackrill, David Grain, Dianne Grain, Michael Grain, Evan Little. Composite section: Pratik Tailor, Ollie Tuohy. Junior section: Jess Fair, Ross Little, Summer O’Dwyer. Emergencies: Andrea Tuohy, Stephen Thessman. On call: Erin Little, Neakiry Kivi, Craig Fair, Luisa Kristen.
- Saturday 18 July, Manawatu Open Champs, Palmerston North.
- Sunday 19 July, 5.45pm range cleaning. Please bring mops, vacuum cleaners, buckets and cleaning cloths.
- Wednesday 22 July, Interassociation B Grade, 8.15pm. Team 2: Andrea Tuohy, Callum Osborne, Ollie Tuohy. Emergency: Summer O’Dwyer. On call: Stephen Thessman, Craig Fair. Team manager: David Grain.
- Saturday 25 July, Brooklyn Centenary Open Champs, 10am.
- Sunday 26 July, Eley Challenge secondary schools match.
- Sunday 26 July, Round 4 closed champs deadline.