It was another busy week for our club members with a couple of representative matches, and the first round of the local intercollegiate competition. Thanks to everyone who helped out at these events and assisted with running the club. It was great to see the improvement in scores following the one-on-one coaching sessions.
Inge Little continues to improve on the rest, this week scoring 92.2. Top shots in D Grade were Ben Cox 96.3, Hamish Guthrey 95.2, Ollie Tuohy 95.2, Dave Wilks 93.3 and Georgia Karantze 93.0. Stephen Thessman was top shot in C Grade with 98.1 followed by Neil Maddever with 97.3. Andrea Tuohy’s 98.4 was the best score in B Grade, Jess Fair top-scored in A Grade with 100.4, and Pratik Tailor’s 99.8 was highest in Master Grade. In the 20-shot competition Michael Grain had the best score of 200.11.
Many D Graders involved in the interassociation match on Wednesday shot extremely well with the #1 team achieving a score that B Graders would have been proud of, while the #2 team improved considerably on the last time a second team had been able to be formed, back in 2012. Congratulations to Luisa Kristen on achieving a new PB of 98.5 in this match.
In the NDC competition on Thursday, Wellington won all three sections and will now contest the Division 2 final against Taranaki, the winner of which also competes against Eastern Force in the promotion/relegation match to determine if either association will move up or down the divisions. Meredith Ackrill and Jess Fair were the top Brooklyn shots in the open and junior sections and both were listed in the top scores section for Division 2.
Round 1 of the local secondary schools match was held yesterday at the Keene Range in Petone. Wellington College got off to a great start, scoring 385.11 to take the lead after the first round, ahead of Onslow and Taita who both scored 378.07. Wellington Girls are currently 5th and Marsden are 7th. Top shots from each of these schools was Stephen Thessman 98.1, Ruby de Silva (Wellington Central Club) 97.4, and Georgia Karantze and Summer O’Dwyer both with 92.1. Round 2 will be held on Sunday 23 August at the Royal Tiger Range at 2pm.
Round 3 results from the Triple S secondary schools competition are now available. Callum Osborne is 2nd in B Grade and in 7th position overall, while Stephen Thessman is 3rd in C Grade and 8th overall, a mere inner behind Callum. Ben Cox is the highest placed Brooklyn shooter in D Grade, currently in 4th position and Summer O’Dwyer is four points further back to be in 6th position. In the teams competition Wellington College is 4th and Marsden is 7th. The final round, due on Sunday 6 September, is a 20-shot competition. Shooters will be able to get in some 20-shot target practice over the next few weeks.
The major events as far as club shooting goes are the Osmond Shield and Wright Cup matches. These are being held on Saturday 29 August, commencing at 7.30pm. The Osmond Shield is for teams of eight shooters, four of whom must be graded B and below. Each person fires 1x10 shot card in seeded order, and all scores count towards the team total. The Wright Cup teams comprise six shooters graded C Grade and D Grade. As with the Osmond Shield, each person fires 1x10 shot card in seeded order; however only the best five scores count for the team total. Brooklyn are the current holders of the Wright Cup.
Best of luck to our shooters competing in the North v South match in Wanganui next weekend.
- Tuesday 11 August, Titipounamu Match, 8.00pm. Team: Ross Little, Evan Little, Jess Fair, Dianne Grain. On call: Andrea Tuohy.
- Saturday 15 August, Interisland Match, Wanganui. North Island open team: Pratik Tailor, Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little (emergency), Michael Grain (on call). North Island women’s team: Meredith Ackrill, Jess Fair, Dianne Grain. North Island junior team: Jess Fair, Ross Little, Stephen Thessman (on call).
- Sunday 16 August, deadline for Round 5 closed champs targets.
- Sunday 16 August, Eley Challenge secondary schools match, 2x10, shot at club.
- Monday 17 August, Teams of Five, 8.00pm, 2x20. Team #2: Callum Osborne, Craig Fair, Andrea Tuohy. On call: Summer O’Dwyer, Ollie Tuohy.
- Thursday 20 August, Interclub Round 6. Teams named next week.
- Saturday 22 August, Triangular Open Match, 3.00pm, 1x10 + 1x20, Martinborough. Team: Michael Grain, Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little, Ross Little, Jess Fair. On call: Craig Fair.
- Sunday 23 August, 2pm, Round 2 Wellington/Hutt Valley secondary schools match. Marsden: Summer O’Dwyer, Luisa Kristen, Neakiry Kivi, Georgia Karantze, Leilani Fam, Mila Ballara. Wellington College: Callum Osborne, Stephen Thessman, Greg Mason, Ben Cox, Nicoli Yamog. Wellington Girls: Erin Little.