Many thanks to everyone for helping out with the cleaning of the range and social area yesterday. With so many, the tasks were accomplished quickly and well. The club is next rostered for cleaning in September.
Stephen Thessman had an incredible shoot yesterday, recording 99.2 to be top shot in D Grade, and almost top shot in the club!! Josh Whitehead’s 94.4 was next best in D Grade followed by Cassie Truscott 92.2 and Maia Lapointe 90.2. A close contest in C Grade resulted in Chris Lockery an inner ahead of Inge Little (95.3 and 95.2 respectively). Dianne Grain’s 98.6 was best in B Grade followed by Mark Riley with 97.2. In A Grade Evan Little recorded the top score of 99.5, and another close battle in Master Grade saw Bex Gibbs take the lead with 98.7, two inners ahead of Meredith Ackrill. Evan Little’s fine form continued with his 20-shot score of 199.11, while all other 20-shot shooters scored within four points of each other.
Could markers please ensure all scores are recorded and are easily readable – two were missing this week and another was difficult to determine.
Results have been distributed for Round 1 of the closed champs competition. Meredith Ackrill has made a great start, scoring 100.6, to take the lead in Master Grade. Mark Baines is in 2nd position in A Grade with 97.2, just two inners behind, and in B Grade Erin Little’s 97.2 places her 3rd. There were some exceptionally good scores recorded in C Grade where Casey Israelson is 1st equal with 97.4 and Emily Lockery is in 3rd place with 96.2. Cassie Truscott and Stephen Thessman have just one inner separating them to be the top two in D Grade (95.2 and 95.1 respectively). Casey Israelson and Emily Lockery are 2nd and 3rd in the junior section, and Meredith Ackrill and Bex Gibbs (97.4) lead the women’s section. The deadline for Round 2 targets is Sunday 9 June.
The Triple S (Secondary Schools Shooting) targets will be available next Sunday, with the Round 1 deadline being Sunday 9 June. This involves all secondary school students using sling and jacket by the end of April. The Triple S Champs are shot in four rounds, similar in style to the Wellington Closed Champs competition, however with the exception that the last round is a 20-shot target. The deadlines for the four rounds are: 9 June, 7 July, 4 August, and 1 September. If you have any questions regarding this competition, please contact Stephen Thessman or Craig Fair.
A club instructor’s course is being held at the Royal Tiger range on Friday 14 June at 7pm. To book a place on this course, please email TSNZ by Friday 7 June. Include your name, phone number, club and choice of location (Wellington).
We are starting to get into the busiest months of the season with many representative matches, interclub matches and open champs on the calendar.
- On the first day of each month, all Wellington members are emailed a list of upcoming representative matches for that month. Please ensure you look over this list and advise the WSRA selector of any that you are unavailable for. Teams will be selected the day after the opt-out deadline closes.
- For interclub matches, a shortlist is emailed to relevant shooters a few days prior to the team being named. If your name is on this list and you are not available for the match, please email the BSRC selector as quickly as possible.
- Open champs are competitions held at various venues around the country on most weekends. These are open for anyone to enter on payment of the entry fee. Shooters compete in their own grade. The next open champs is at the Keene Range in Petone on Friday 7 and Saturday 8 June, which is also a venue for Round 1 of a secondary school competition in August, so a great opportunity to get in some practice at this range. If you are interested in entering the Hutt Valley Open Champs and use club equipment, please ensure you advise a senior member so that your equipment can be taken to the Keene Range for you.
Helpers are needed next Sunday (2 June) at 5pm with transitioning four new shooters to sling and jacket. Please email if you are available to assist.
Good luck to our interclub teams competing against Wellington Central tonight.
- Monday 27 May, Round 2 interclub. 7.45pm C Grade v Wn Central: Casey Israelson, Inge Little (captain), Cassie Truscott, Hamish Guthrey. On call: Emily Lockery. 8.45pm Open Grade v Wn Central: Meredith Ackrill, Evan Little (captain), Bex Gibbs, Mark Baines. On call: David Grain. B Grade have a bye.
- Sunday 2 June, 5.00pm new members move to slings. Helpers needed.
- Thursday 6 June, 7.30pm, Round 3 NDC, team named Monday 3 June.
- Friday 7 / Saturday 8 June, Hutt Valley Open Champs, Keene Range, Petone.
- Sunday 9 June, Round 1 Triple S Champs (secondary school students) deadline.
- Sunday 9 June, Round 2 Closed Champs deadline.
- Friday 14 June, 7.00pm, Club Instructor’s course.