It was fantastic to have so many club members helping and/or competing at the Wellington Open Champs last weekend. This was a new experience for many of our younger shooters, and hopefully an enjoyable one. There were many close competitions – only a point separated Bella Gauld and Arnold Chia; an inner overall put Daniel Mackey ahead of Rhys Mountain; our team comprising Pratik Tailor, Beckz Gibbs and Meredith Ackrill all finished within an inner of each other and gained the runner-up award; Beckz beat Meredith on countback for the Wellington women’s trophy; and a good battle developed at the top of D Grade with Oscar Robinson winning on countback (to the middle card!) over Amalamo Simi, while Georgia Karantze was only a point behind. Placegetters are noted below. For full results, go to: http://www.sportsground.co.nz/files/site/277/07/Pdf/160717142500WXVGGPTB.pdf
- Oscar Robinson 283.5 – 1st D Grade, and winner of Simon Grant Memorial Trophy for top Wellington D Grade shooter
- Amalamo Simi 283.5 – 2nd D Grade
- Georgia Karantze 282.11 – 3rd D Grade
- Hamish Guthrey 288.7 – 3rd C Grade
- Summer O’Dwyer 293.16 – 1st B Grade, and winner of Simon Grant Memorial Trophy for top Wellington B Grade shooter
- Beckz Gibbs 296.15 – 1st A Grade, winner of Simon Grant Memorial Trophy for top Wellington A Grade shooter, winner of Ada Kinsey Memorial Trophy for top Wellington woman, and shot in Final 10 present
- Pratik Tailor 296.16 – winner of Simon Grant Memorial Trophy for top Wellington Master Grade shooter
- Pratik Tailor, Beckz Gibbs and Meredith Ackrill 890.46 – 2nd place in handicap teams event, won by Rongotea 892.58.
In club shooting this week, the top five D Graders were Wiko du Toit 96.4, Leilani Fam 94.4, Oscar Robinson 94.4, Amalamo Simi 94.2 and Daniel Mackey 92.2. There was also some great shooting in C Grade – Mark Riley shot best with 97.4, closely followed by Hamish Guthrey with 97.2, while Neakiry Kivi, Greg Mason and Erin Little all recorded 96s. Callum Osborne led B Grade with 98.3, and Evan Little scored the best A Grade score of 98.4. Meredith Ackrill shot 99.7 in Master Grade, and was also highest in the 20-shot competition with 197.9, followed by Dianne Grain with 196.15.
The B Grade interassociation match was held on Tuesday night. Both Wellington teams improved considerably on previous years’ scores. Summer O’Dwyer scored highest overall with a very impressive new PB of 198.11 which included 100.7. Well done, Summer! Results from all associations will be published at the end of the season.
Congratulations to the following shooters on being selected for North Island teams to compete against the South Island in Rangiora next month:
- Meredith Ackrill (North Island women’s team, and on call for North Island open team)
- Jess Fair (North Island women’s team and North Island junior team)
- Ross Little (North Island junior team)
Triple S Round 2 results are available on the club website: http://www.bsrc.org.nz/index.php/ssc/56-new-zealand-secondary-schools-shooting-championship-sss-champs. The standard of shooting continues to be extremely good. Highest Brooklyn shooters in each grade are currently Summer O’Dwyer (4th overall and 3rd in B Grade), Luisa Kristen (12th in C Grade), and Georgia Karantze (4th in D Grade). Wiko du Toit improved from 24th position in D Grade to 10th place. The Marsden #1 team climbed from 8th equal position to 4th place, while Wellington College #1 moved up three places to 10th position. The deadline for Round 3 targets is 7 August.
On Sunday 31 July, Nicole McKee (ex-Mountain Safety Council) will visit the club at 5pm to talk about firearms safety and obtaining a firearms licence. We will therefore begin the club session half an hour earlier on this day, with the first squad at 4pm.
A reminder that if you wish to put your name forward (“nominate”) for representative matches, please email the WSRA Selector, Evan Little, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In August there are two junior matches (Tuesday 2 and Saturday 6) and a D Grade match (Monday 8) for which nominations are needed.
- Thursday 21 July, 7.30pm, Round 5 NDC. Open team: Pratik Tailor, David Grain, Evan Little, Jess Fair. Composite team: Dianne Grain, Craig Fair. Junior team: Ross Little, Summer O’Dwyer. Emergency: Mark Riley.
- Saturday 23 July, Manawatu Open Champs, Palmerston North (poster attached).
- Sunday 24 July, deadline for Round 4 closed champs targets.
- Monday 25 July, Round 5 interclub. C Grade 7.45pm, 1x10: Mark Riley (captain), Hamish Guthrey, Georgia Karantze, Wiko du Toit (marker). B Grade 8.15pm, 1x10: Summer O’Dwyer, Callum Osborne, Mark Riley, Craig Fair (captain). Open Grade 8.45pm, 1x20: Pratik Tailor, Meredith Ackrill, David Grain, Evan Little (captain).
- Wednesday 27 July, 8.15pm, 1x20, Interassociation Women’s match. Team TBC.
- Friday 29 July, 7.00pm, WSRA marking course. Registrations to Sue Bowen (email@example.com)
- Sunday 31 July, club session commencing 4.00pm, as there will be a 30-minute talk at 5.00pm by Nicole McKee re firearms licences.